What Flowers Are Safe For Cats?

If you’re a cat owner, you probably know cats can be curious creatures and love exploring their surroundings. However, some common household plants and flowers can be toxic to cats if ingested. Knowing what flowers are safe for your furry friend is essential as a pet owner.

Luckily, plenty of beautiful flowers are safe for cats to be around. So whether you want to add some color to your home or garden or send a bouquet to a cat-loving friend, knowing which flowers are safe for cats is essential.

In this article, we’ll explore a variety of safe flowers for cats and provide tips on how to keep your feline friends safe and happy around flowers.

What Are Common Flowers Safe for Cats?

Many beautiful flowers are safe for cats. Here are some of them:

  • African Violet
  • Calendula
  • Camellia
  • Catnip
  • Christmas Cactus
  • Daisy
  • Gerbera Daisy
  • Hibiscus
  • Orchids
  • Rose
  • Sunflowers
  • Violet

It is important to note that while these flowers are generally considered safe for cats, some may still have allergic reactions to certain plants. Additionally, it is always a good idea to supervise your cat around any plants and keep them out of reach, as some cats may still try to nibble on them, leading to stomach upset or more severe health issues.

What Flowers are toxic to cats?

Many flowers are toxic to cats. Here are some of them:

  • Amaryllis
  • Azalea
  • Baby’s Breath
  • Begonia
  • Calla Lily
  • Chrysanthemum
  • Daffodil
  • Easter Lily
  • Foxglove
  • Gladiolus
  • Hyacinth
  • Iris
  • Jasmine
  • Lily of the Valley
  • Morning Glory
  • Narcissus
  • Oleander
  • Poinsettia
  • Tulip

These plants contain toxins that can cause multiple symptoms in cats, from mild gastrointestinal upset to more serious issues like liver failure, kidney damage, or even death in severe cases.

If you suspect your cat has ingested any of these plants or is showing signs of toxicity, such as vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, or difficulty breathing, seek immediate veterinary care.

What to do if your cat eats a flower that’s not safe?

If your cat has eaten an unsafe flower, taking action immediately is vital. Here are the steps you should follow:

  1. Remove any remaining pieces of the flower or plant from your cat’s mouth and paws to prevent further ingestion.
  2. Check the label or do a quick online search to identify the plant and confirm its toxicity level.
  3. Call your veterinarian or a pet poison control hotline immediately for advice on what to do next.
  4. If directed by your veterinarian or the poison control center, induce vomiting by administering hydrogen peroxide (following the recommended dosage for your cat’s weight and age) to help remove any remaining plant material from your cat’s stomach.
  5. Follow any additional instructions provided by your veterinarian, which may include bringing your cat in for observation and treatment or monitoring your cat for symptoms of toxicity.
  6. In the future, prevent your cat from accessing toxic plants by keeping them out of reach or avoiding them altogether.

Remember that time is of the essence when dealing with a potential poisoning, so don’t delay seeking professional help.

If you suspect your cat has been poisoned by ingesting a plant or other substance, call the Pet Poisoning Hotline at 855-764-7661 or the ASPCA Animal Poison Service at 888-426-4435 and contact your veterinarian.

But the best way to get help is to skip buying and planting toxic plants altogether if your pet or cat is known to roam the street and gnaw on something out of sheer curiosity.

Also Read:

Houseplants Safe for Cats

Houseplants Toxic to Cats

What Does Catnip Do?


Click Here to Leave a Comment Below 0 comments

Leave a Reply: