ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Litter Box Review
The ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Litter Box is designed and manufactured by PetSafe, who have lots of experience in making hygienic and safe products for pets.
There are many benefits to owning a self-cleaning litter box. The main one is that you don't have to scoop or clean the litter for several weeks! The motorized rake system does this for you.
If you're wondering if the ScoopFree Ultra Litter Box is effective and reliable, read our detailed review below to find out. We've listed all the pros and cons, so you can make an informed decision.
The ScoopFree Ultra has a sensor and a rake system, which will automatically scoop the dirty litter from the box after your cat has done it's business. All the clumps and dirty litter stays enclosed in a closed compartment.
This means that you don't have to change or touch the litter for few weeks or 20 to 30 days (if you own one feline). If you have two cats at home, they can both use the box, and you'll need to change the tray in half a month.
There is a handy privacy hood over the top, which gives a secure feeling to the cat and makes it easy for it to get used to the litter box.
It controls the foul odor within the boundaries of the cat litter unit and makes sure you can stay as far away from the product for weeks as possible.
Editor's Rating: 4.2/5 Overall Score
How Does The PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Work?
Step 1: Set up and load the new tray. It's very easy to set up and will take only one minute.
Step 2: The sensor will detect when your cat does it's business. And 5, 10 or 20 minutes after your cat leaves the box the metal rake will scoop the waste into a closed compartment. It will self clean for weeks!
Step 3: When it's time to replace the tray, simply cover it with it's lid and trow it away.
- Purple colored cat-friendly unit
- Comes with a rake cleaning system, disposable tray lined with blue crystals
- Efficient cleaning system and offers scooping free weeks to the owner
- The height of the unit and the additional privacy hood are spot on
- Rake delay is another useful feature introduced in this product
- The health counter system keeps in check the health of your cat
- A manual for customer’s guidance is given in the box
- It is built for indoor use
What's included in the package:
- The mechanical cat litter box
- AC power supply switch/adaptor
- Cord length is 10 foot
- Additional privacy hood for the unit
- 1 disposable crystal litter tray
- Built-in health counter system
The dimensions of the product as mentioned in the reliable Amazon online store are 30 x 20 x 10 inches and its weight is around 19.6 pounds.
Pros And Cons Of ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Litter Box:
- It is easy to assemble and use the cat litter box
- The privacy hood is a beneficial addition
- Crystals effectively absorbs the liquid and dehydrate the solid waste
- Dust free unit
- Disposable litter trays are easily available in the market
- Multiple cats can use it but this means more regular change of the litter tray
- Perfect for cats or kittens of 6 months age and above
- Self-cleaning cycle can be delayed to 5, 10 or 20 minutes
- The electrical cord is long enough to keep the unit wherever you like
- It is an expensive investment if you want to use it for multiple cats
- Few customers complained about the small litter area
- The waste box isn’t sealed
- Not suitable for active and mischievous cats
- Rake clogging complaint is quite common with all the rake cleaning system products
Click Button Below To Check Current Price On Amazon
Tips And Tricks How To Use It Correctly
By now you must have decided whether you want to take home the ScoopFree Ultra self-cleaning litter box or not. Here are some of the tips and tricks which will help you maximize your use of the cat litter box:
- The diet of your cat heavily affects the type of waste it is producing. Thus, using cat food with low fiber content will help to reduce the solid waste amount.
- For cats who dig a lot, the unit can be a bit tricky to use. You’ll have to keep an eye on the green sensor light and make sure it doesn’t go out.
- Keep the cat litter unit in a ventilated place to avoid any bad odor
- Sprinkling the baking powder on the crystals will enhance the odor controlling system.
PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra vs. ScoopFree Original
PetSafe first introduced the ScoopFree Original Self Cleaning Litter box, and there were several improvements made with the second Ultra version.
The first version, The ScoopFree Original, is still sold and does a very good job. It also comes at a lower price. If you're not sure which one to get, here is a list of the differences between the two:
- The ScoopFree Ultra has a health counter, which tracks the number of times your feline uses the box
- The ScoopFree Ultra comes with a hooded cover, which is available in 2 styles: front entry or top entry.
- The ScoopFree Original cleans the litter box 20 minutes after your cat leaves is, while with the Ultra you can program it to clean 5, 10 or 20 minutes afterwards.
PetSafe ScoopFree Ultra Litter Box Tray Refills
One litter tray will last you around one month if you own one cat. Once it's time to replace it, you'll need to buy new trays.
PetSafe sells disposable trays with crystal litter, specifically made for the ScoopFree Ultra and the Original Self-Cleaning Litter Box. They are sold in a pack of 3 or 6.
The crystal litter that they use absorbs odor very well, is dust free, and is low tracking. It's available in lavender scent, sensitive (with no scent or perfume), and premium blue.
Click Button Below To Check Current Price On Amazon
The reviews of customers who own this product vary from one point to another but the majority considered this unit a great product and are in love with the litter box. The ScoopFree Ultra Self-Cleaning Litter Box, will do all the cleaning job for you for up to one month (if you own one cat). The crystal litter that is used absorbs odor very well, is low tracking and is dust free. Most importantly, with this product you won't have to scoop or handle any smelly and stinky waste for several weeks!