LitterMaid LM980 Mega Cat Self-Cleaning Litter Box Review
LitterMaid is a well known brand that has manufactured a number of automatic litter boxes and accessories, to help cat owners. The LitterMaid LM980 Mega Self-Cleaning Litter Box is designed for multi-cat households.
If you own 2-3 cats or kittens at home, you probably dread scooping and cleaning their litter box. But with the help of LitterMiad LM980, you can forget about scooping the smelly litter daily.
This product has a large waste box receptacle which allows you to stay away from cat’s litter for up to one week. But does this product work effectively and is it worth it? Keep reading our full review to find out.
This is an automatic litter box, which cleans itself after your cat has used it. There is a large waste compartment were all the waste is stored for up to 7 days!
It controls odor very well, since all the scooped poop and urine stays inside a waste receptacle which has a carbon filter.
This model is designed for multi-cat households, since it has 50% more waste box space than its competitors. If you have only one feline at home, you can also try out the LitterMaid Single Cat Self-Cleaning Litter Box.
Editor's Rating: 4/5 Overall Score
How Does the LitterMaid Self Cleaning Litter Box Work?
This machine offers 50% more waste box space unlike other self-cleaning litter boxes, making it a good choice if you have several cats at home.
Step 1: Load the waste receptacle and carbon filter
Step 2: The sensor detects each time your cat has done its business and steps out of the box. Within 10 minutes, the rake will auto clean any waste. You don't have to touch the litter box for up to 7 days!
Step 3: Empty the waste receptacle.
In case your cat steps inside again during the cleaning process, the device stops working and sets itself for a further 10-minutes delay.
- Strong and durable self-cleaning mechanism
- Suitable for multi-cat households
- Can serve cats weighting over 15 lbs
- Carbon filter for odor control
- A very useful paw cleaning ramp
- Larger in size
- It has high walls which ensure that the litter stays inside
- Removable rakes
Things included in the package:
- Waste receptacles: 4
- Carbon filters to catch the foul odor: 4
- Cleaning ramp for cat paws
- AC adapter
- 1 Rake and scoop cleaner
Dimensions of the LitterMaid LM980 Mega Self Cleaning Litter Box:
This litter box measures: 26" L x 17" W. If you attach the cleaning ramp, it becomes 33" long. The litter area is 16"W x 14"L, which provides plenty of space for your feline to use it comfortably. It weights only 13 pounds.
Pros And Cons Of The LitterMaid LM980 Mega Litter Box:
- Large in size and suitable for 2 to 3 cats
- It will auto clean for up to 7 days
- Paws cleaning ramp ensures that the floor stays clean
- Sufficient delay time of the cleaning cycle
- Collection of the waste is efficient
- It is easy to use and assemble
- The rake is nicely designed to do their job
- Few multi-cats customers complained about the depth of the waste containing box
- There has been a complaint about the length of the prongs
- It is louder than the other devices
- Handles feces better
Click Button Below To Check Current Price On Amazon
Tips And Tricks On How To Use It The LitterMaid 980 Correctly
Do you want to know about the tips and tricks that you can use to make the LitterMaid LM980 perform to its full capacity? Read below!
- The right place for this litter unit is away from the bedroom. It’s noisy and will surely wake up the light sleepers. Even if you have to keep it in the bedroom, we would prefer turning it off at night.
- Use high-quality clumping litter with the device.
- Make sure that the eye sensor is kept dry. Any contact with the liquid can damage it (sometimes permanently).
- The sides of the litter box have two red lines drawn on it. Consider it a danger sign as the accumulation of the litter above this level would result in an inefficient working of the LitterMaid LM980 self-cleaning cat litter box.
Best Litter for LitterMaid Automatic Litter Box
Make sure you are using clumping litter, since the rake system will scoop off the clumps that are formed inside.
You can try out the LitterMaid Premium Corn Cob Litter, Clumping Formula. It's dust free, and has a fast-clumping formula. It's made of natural corn cob, which also makes it eco-friendly.
You can also read our article on the best cat litters, so you can see and compare other brands.
LitterMaid Waste Receptacles
You will need to replace the waste receptacles when they are full and throw they away.
Usually you'll need to change them every 7 days (depending on your cat's habits).
They seal tight and will lock in odors, so the litter box stays fresh and clean. You can get them in a pack of 12 or 18.
Our final verdict regarding the LitterMaid LM980 Mega Self-Cleaning Litter Box is positive as we find it very suitable for the multi-cat households. It has a large waste bin, which contains and controls odor very well, and most importantly you won't have to clean the box for up to 7 days! It's suitable for large cats as well, over 15 lbs. Just make sure you're using hard clumping litter and it should be working very effectively.